To our Catbird community,
We are a small, independent business that has always aimed to punch above our weight to create a positive change, but we have been regrettably passive for too long.
The brutal and heart-wrenching murders of our neighbors and fellow citizens have shone a light on the systemic racism that Black Americans have been facing every day for hundreds of years. To everyone in our Catbird community, and especially to our Black friends, colleagues and customers: I see you and I promise to do everything I can to actively make Catbird an anti-racist organization.
Here is a pledge:
- Our offerings: We will place a specific and active emphasis on supporting and promoting Black business owners through 3rd party offerings: jewelry designers as well as beauty and home. This has been lacking for too long.
- Hiring: In two years, we went from 26% to 40% BIPOC and 7% to 17% Black by being intentional. Out of new hires in the past two years, 46% are BIPOC and 22% Black. We will continue this trend in all roles, departments and management levels and proactively identify areas where we are falling short.
- Customer service: We will continue to examine and work to prevent any negative customer experiences. As a response to listening to our customers we started semi-annual Implicit Bias training and revamped our hiring processes. We are actively looking at other tools to make sure everyone feels welcome and included.
- Giving: We will explore new partnerships with nonprofits who directly highlight and empower the Black community as well as deepen our existing long-held partnerships with the ACLU and Women’s Prison Association.
- Creative: We will use our platform to amplify Black voices, not only in our own photoshoots but also in moodboards, the quotes we use, social media and all creative assets. Book club choices, panels, vendors, events, pop-up locations, long and short term partnerships will be examined to make sure we are taking all opportunities to support and elevate the Black community.
- Listening and learning: We will create clear opportunities for our own BIPOC employees across all departments and levels to let us know how we are doing, how we can support them in their growth and success.
We are here to do the hard work for deep, long lasting and cathartic change. We are here for the long haul. This is the beginning. We will report our progress to you.
We love and miss you and can not wait to see you again.